Saturday, April 7, 2012

Bonus Blessings

As Mike and I served in Samoa, I began making a list.  At first, I only included bonus blessings-things that we experienced or learned that I hadn't realized would be a part of a mission.  It included cultural, educational and social blessings.  The longer the list got, the more I realized that even these unexpected blessings were spiritual in nature, because each bonus blessing came as a result of being obedient to the call to serve.  Heavenly Father has so much in store for us if we will only choose to obey. 
These are a few of the bonus blessings we received.
  • I learned to speak a few words of Samoan, and although my gift of tongues was only a tiny one, I am so grateful for it!  It was interesting to me that after we spoke in Sacrament meeting, my son-in-law, Will told me that his favorite part of my talk was my testimony in Samoan.  I came so close to leaving that part out!  We all do that-hiding a tiny talent because we are ashamed it is so small. 

  • Mike hand-fed giant turtles.
  • We learned what a blowhole is, and saw one up close.
  • I learned to weave a place mat from coconut leaves!
  • We participated in a Samoan Christmas Choir. Our favorite song was the Hallelujah Chorus.

  • I enjoyed trying out delicious new recipes with fellow senior missionaries.  One of my favorite memories was making flour tortillas with Sister Krogh.
  • I was fascinated to learn how a pineapple grows!  It takes over 18 months to get one to the mature stage where it is ready to be picked.  We had one in our front yard that I waited our whole mission to see signs of growth.  All it had was the stems.  I was convinced it was not ever going to produce.  But, sure enough, about 6 weeks before we left,  a tiny pineapple started to develop, but it wasn't big enough to pick before we left.  The one above looks about ready, though.
  • I learned to do amazing things on my computer!  Seriously!  This was one of the biggest of the many bonus blessings I received.  And it will continue to be a blessing for the rest of my life as I incorporate these skills in countless new projects such as family history work, church callings, household projects, social activities....this blessing is huge!

  • I learned to drive a rightside stearing vehicle on the left side of the road.  This is Henry.  He was dependable and accomodating as we shared him first with the Kellys, then with the Curries, then with the Hansons and briefly, with the Partridges. He was scheduled for retirement last fall, but it didn't happen.  That's okay.  Good old Henry!

  • I learned where Samoa was on a map, as well as Australia, New Zealand and Tonga! 

  • I learned that there is a place for "fluff" and that 2nd mile efforts, when directed towards people can bring enormous results.  A few of my favorite 2nd milers were...
  • Sister Haleck, who has no equal when it comes to setting a beautiful table...
Sister Kelly, who had a place in her heart for everyone...


Sister Eves, who prayed everyday, to find someone to serve.  Here she is with Elder Moala, one of the finest Assistant's to the President I was priviledged to know and another 2nd miler.
The Aveis and the Webers.  Sister Avei always remembered to send us cards for special occasions.  She and Elder Avei did so much behind the scenes shepherding, not only to the senior missionaries when they were zone leaders, but to many, many others as well.  And Sister Weber was my inspiration for seeking out investigators of the Church.  She always had an eye open for a potential convert.  (sorry Pete, I guess you were filling teeth when this picture was taken)


Okay, back to the bonus blessings.  Just a couple more...

  • We were blessed with a family we could love and who were able to fill the lonely void that was created when we left our own children behind.  This is the Faumuina family.  Sione and Palota Pine's daughter, son-in-law and six children.  The two little girls sobbed and hid when we first started visiting them at their home.  We'll never forget one Sunday when tiny little Toefiliga (who is being held by her dad in this picture) shouted out "Merrell" as we passed by them after church.  Our first break- through!


  • The last bonus blessing I want to mention is this guy here. After 33 years of marriage, it took serving an 18 month mission with him for me to discover some really remarkable qualities I had never fully appreciated before.
 I always knew he was a tease and it sometimes drove me crazy.  Still does.  But I hadn't realized how much others loved this side of him until I served with him in the office. I remember one day the Leota girls had been gone for a couple of days and both of them, at seperate times came into the office, looking for Elder Merrell.  Each one was so disapointed when he wasn't there.   He has a natural wit about him that sees the humor in everyday things.


 I always knew he had a flair for decorating, but I didn't realize how good he was at it until I saw him decorate the office for Christmas each year, and how he would help with table decorations at various dinners. 

 I began to see how deeply attached he became to the people he worked with on a day-to-day basis.  It was never strictly business with him, he always became friends with them.

I was continutally amazed at how organized he was.  He was always doing things for others.  He didn't have to come up with a long, drawn-out game plan.  He just jumped in and got things done.  That was probably one of the things I needed to learn the most; how to make good use of my time.  I am  better organized and get more done in less time than I ever did before.  I am grateful for that lesson.  I still need to work on it but I am getting better. 
I loved the way he embraced the culture.  Here he is in his "skirt".  He determined early on on his mission that he was going to wear it to church and he got busy and got himself one and started wearing it...white legs and all.  Took me until last Christmas to get brave enough to wear a pulutasi. 


I know there were many times that I tried his patience and many times when he was frustrated with me.  But he was pretty classy about being a gentleman through it all and hardly ever complained.  I was blessed to have him for my companion the whole 18 months.  Realizing all over again what a wonderful companion I have for all eternity was probaly my best bonus blessing of all.

1 comment:

monsterboy said...

I admire you!en your blog is so beautiful