Saturday, December 4, 2010

"...making a tinkling with their feet."

These are my favorite pair of black heels. I was told to bring closed-toed sandals, and that no one wore nylons in Samoa. I was a stubborn hold-out for a long time. I simply could not feel properly dressed without my nylons and my high heels. Until one memorable morning for me...I was walking over to the Mission Office one sunny morning, in my favorite pair of black heels and a really smart looking red skirt, feeling pretty good about my appearance.
And then, a scripture popped into my head, totally un-invited!
"...because the daughters of Zion are haughty
...walking and mincing as they go,
and making a tinkling with their feet."
I had to get out my scriptures to make sure I was remembering it correctly. Then, I looked down at the footnotes and read what tinking meant...
"walking with short rapid steps in an affected manner"
If anyone was guilty of walking with short, rapid steps as I hurried past the slow-paced Samoans that morning, it was me!
It really cut me to the quick.

So, I have given up my nylons. (My children's mouths have just dropped open)
And I have been wearing this pair of sandals everyday. (until recently when my parents sent me another, even more comfortable pair)
On Sundays, it is okay to dress up a bit, so I sometimes wear the heels...without nylons, because it really is too hot. And because Sister Tolman told me I was the only person in Samoa wearing them, except for Sister Pemberton. (and Sister Pemberton is in her 80's!)
And I don't hurry so much when I walk to the Mission Office anymore.
Life is Good.

3 comments:

Carr Family said...

Those are some super cute shoes...Both of them!!!

Annie said...

I love this...Samoa is the perfect mission for you two!

And those sandals really are super cute!

Babzanne Barker said...

I loved this blog! I especially liked how you tied your whole experience to the scriptures and made that scripture come alive. You are an excellent teacher! On the other hand, I had no idea you were so committed to wearing hose. I avoid them as much as possible, wearing knee high nylons whenever my dress or skirt will allow it. If I could wear only sandals to Church I'd be in Heaven!