Sunday, December 19, 2010

Stake Relief Society Conference, Samoan style!

A couple of months ago, our Stake had a Relief Society Conference. It was so much fun! Each ward had a room or area to display talents from their sisters, and afterwards, we enjoyed a talent show, and a fashion show. I have never laughed so hard in my life! It was a great day! This is a Samoan Christmas tree, made from fresh palm tree leaves, woven onto a specially made Christmas Tree stand. The decorations are made from palm leaves, too.



This is in the room my ward decorated and this is our Bishop's wife, Sister Joseph and her mother. Sister Joseph "ran away" and joined the church against her parents' wishes and risked losing contact with them. But, as you can see, they are still very much a family. They live next door to one another. She supports the bishops's family in many of the ward activities. Most recently, she participated in the Christmas talent show. That story needs its own post...with video!




This is our good friend, Siva. She accompanies Elder Merrell and I on our visits to ward members and translates for us. She had just given me a flower for my hair and the two of us are trying carefully to keep it from falling out. I love the flowers that nearly every Samoan female wears in her hair. I have to figure out a way to start wearing one, myself.





This dear sister is also in my ward. Her name is Sister Ao (Pronouced like the beginning of the word ouch). She has a wonderful sense of humor. She keeps the sisters in stiches during her monthly Relief Society lessons and she always makes sure I get a copy of the Conference talk she uses...I wish I had a copy of the funny stuff as well!





These are sisters in my ward who sang during the talent part of the Conference. All four of these sisters are part of an extended family that I have grown to love with all my heart. The two older sisters are real-life sisters. The one sitting down (Sister Tuala) told me to button my blouse one Sunday in Relief Society. (I quickly complied and have not worn that cute outfit to church again) The one in purple is the daughter-in-law of Sister Tuala and she can hold her own. Her daugher leaves to go on a mission to Riverside, CA in early February. I'm not sure either one of us will be able to let her go.






Look at these beautiful displays!






This sister is in the same ward as Sister Kelly, our mision nurse. One day, she stopped by my house, thinking it was the Kelly's and she tried to explain to me that her heart was hurting. She laid down on the couch and clutched at her heart. I about had a hear attack, myself. Fortunately, we both recovered.








Aren't these beautiful! All hand-made, mostly from leaves and seeds...









...by these sisters!




This is Sister Kelly and the "heart-attack" sister performing a dance for the talent show.









Samoans LOVE to have their pictures taken. I stared to take a picture of the two in the middle and before I knew it, two more jumped in!








More displays. I want to have one of these Relief Society Conferences when I come home! (Please Connie, Please!)

2 comments:

Babzanne Barker said...

I started reading all your posts and didn't want to stop to write a comment, but it's getting later and later and time I got to bed. What a wonderful adventure you are both having! I knew that Samoa would be the perfect mission for you, and it looks like you are perfect for Samoa, too. They are very blessed to have you there and I'm so happy you are loving it there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! (I'll send your gift soon!!)

Olive said...

I love the pictures & the details of the conference. I laughed about your "heart attack sister." Sister Crews