Monday, January 17, 2011

The Rescue

Chickens roam freely in Samoa, as do pigs. It's a delightful part of the culture and we love it...well, at least the chickens. (The pigs can be a bit intimidating at times.) We haven't run across any pigs in the mission compound, but there are several chickens. We have been watching two mama hens with their babies. One hen had three chicks that are getting quite large. Another hen had five. I'm not sure, but maybe five was too many for this young mama hen, because two of them got away from her and fell through a drainage grate. We heard the chicks peeping like crazy, but it took us awhile to locate where they were. Unfortunately, the grate was secured with heavy bolts on each side that were tight and rusted. Mike was finally able to get one side undone. I wish we had a picture of the two guards and Elder Merrell holding up the grate as I fearlessly reached inside to rescue the two little chicks.

They came right to me because I had been kneeling by the grate talking to them for the twenty minutes it took to round up enough man-power to get the job done.


Afterwards, I started walking around the compound, in the direction we had seen the mama and her three other babies head. Soon, the quiet little chicks began peeping and wriggling in my hands and I knew we were close so I set them down. They scurried over to mama and she immediately covered them with her wings. Sister Kelly and I both agreed that the scripture, "...how oft would I have gathered you under my wing ..." was a fitting end to the story!




1 comment:

Carr Family said...

Aww...How cute! And that Pink shirt looks pretty cute as well!