Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Story from My Journal

It’s been over 30 years since my sister’s death. 

Last week, I attended the final musical production of Dixie High’s Mary Poppins. This marked the last theatrical production for director Russ Saxton, who is retiring after 32 years. Before the show began, the mayor of St. George gave him a key to the city, acknowledging his tremendous influence in the lives of so many.


I felt a sweet satisfaction. Many years before, my sister Kris had invited Russ into our home, to receive the missionary discussions. He accepted the invitation to be baptised, later served a mission, married a wonderful Mormon girl, and ended up in St. George, Utah. His influence on this community has been tremendous.


I looked for Russ at the intermission of Mary Poppins. I gave him a hug and said, “I’m here for Kris.” This gentle giant of a man dissolved into tears which made the experience even more sweet.

1 comment:

Annie said...

It's been really nice to read through these--to take a few moments throughout the day to remember Grandma and her legacy. This post was particularly touching!