Thursday, March 24, 2016

It's More Important to Be Nice

Mom truly was a virtuous woman. One of her favorite quotes was, “It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.” She lived that.

Recently, Dad was going through some of mom’s old papers from college, and he discovered a series of letters between mom and Nampa High school that showed a side of mom that some of us didn’t know existed, not even dad.

In the first letter addressed to the Nampa high school principal, mom writes that her high school transcript did not credit her with having taken American Government when she was a senior. She requested that they correct the transcript for her college records so that she could graduate.

She received a letter back from the high school registrar that reads in part, “I am sorry but Government was not taught in the 12th grade until long after you had graduated. Sorry I couldn’t be of any help to you concerning this matter.”


Mom replied to that letter,

Dear Sir:

“...I am enclosing a copy of my report card which shows that I did take American Government when I was a Senior...she then described the class, the teacher, even a reference to the high school yearbook , made a second request for a corrected transcript and closed with these very nice words....I realize that this may be an inconvenience to you and I am truly sorry, but at the same time I did take the class and it is very important to me that this be cleared up as soon as possible.”

The next letter was from the registrar; a revised, corrected copy of mom’s high school transcript with a note of apology attached, admitting their mistake.

Mom could be stubbornly persistent when she knew she was right, but she was always nice about it.

No comments: