Thursday, March 24, 2016

Mom’s Genuine Belief in Me

One of the talks I had with mom that meant the most to me occurred about ten years after Kris died.  I had silently struggled to come to terms with my sister’s death.  I understood the Plan of Salvation,  I knew I would see Kris again, but I missed her terribly!  There were many times when I would steal away by myself to cry silent, lonely tears of unspeakable grief. 

It became my desire to write a play in honor of Kris, which I felt would be a fitting tribute to her.  But I was afraid I couldn’t do it.  It was an enormous undertaking for someone with no experience.  

During one of our late night talks, I confided in mom.  She was the first person I had the courage to tell about the play, and I still remember her response.  It was instant belief.  She looked at me and said, “Oh, please write it!”  There was not the slightest doubt in her mind that I could do it.  And she truly wanted me to. 

I will be forever grateful for mom’s encouragement to me that night. She gave me the courage to do something really hard, but there was so much more to it than that.

During the final days of writing Kris’s play, I realized, with amazement, that the unspeakable grief I once felt for the loss of my sister had been replaced with grateful appreciation for the blessings that have come through this trial.  I will be forever grateful for my testimony of  God’s Eternal Plan of Happiness.

No comments: